THE KAZANSKY STATION was built in 1862-1864 on Kalantchyovskaya Square by the Ryazanskaya Railroad order.
That is why originally the station was called Ryazansky. By 1894 one more railroad branch-line to Kazan had been constructed. Today the station links Moscow with Povolzhie, the Urals, Siberia and the Middle Asia. The erection of the station began in 1913 and came to an end only in 1940.
The neorussian design of the station was prepared by an architect Shusev. In order to make the building look magnificent and imposing, the architect put in one line a number of different in height, length, type of the roof and design pavilions.
Each building performed its own “duty”: a waiting-room, a restaurant, an administrative building. Ancient Russian architectural traditions, coming from Nizhny Novgorod, Astrakhan, Ryazan, were used in the design of the station. A tiered tower over the vaulted central entrance was built in imitation the Suumbeck tower in the Kazan Kremlin.
The restaurant interiors are trimmed in the spirit of a refectory and are decorated with Lansere’s scenic panels.
Such famous artists as A. Benua, B. Kustodiev, N. Rerikh participated in the exterior and interior decoration of the station. The Central palace of culture of railroaders is a part of the station ensemble and is attached to it on the side of Krasnoprudnaya street.
In 1950s a hall of local traffic was attached to the station. In 1987-1997 during the reconstruction of the station the original decoration was restored, the interior pavilions were enlarged and the station platforms were roofed.
Address: 2, Komsomolskaya Sq., Moscow