Russian  
ABOUT THE PROJECT STATE CULTURE AND ART HISTORY GEOGRAPHY AND NATURE PEARLS OF RUSSIA TOURISM GUEST BOOK  
 Russia State   Cities
 :: Articles
Abakan
Aginskoye
Anadyr
Arkhangelsk
Astrakhan
Barnaul
Belgorod
Birobidzhan
Blagoveshensk
Bryansk
Cheboksary
Chelyabinsk
Cherkessk
Chita
Ekaterinburg
Elista
Gorno-Altaisk
Groznyi
Ioshkar-Ola
Irkutsk
Ivanovo
Izhevsk
Kaliningrad
Kaluga
Kazan
Kemerovo
Khabarovsk
Khanty-Mansiysk
Kirov
Kostroma
Krasnodar
Krasnoyarsk
Kudymkar
Kurgan
Kursk
Kyzyl
Lipetsk
Magadan
Maikop
Makhachkala
Moscow
Murmansk
Nalchik
Naryan-Mar
Nizhny Novgorod
Norilsk
Novgorod the Great
Novosibirsk
Omsk
Orenburg
Oryol
Penza
Perm
Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky
Petrozavodsk
Pskov
Rostov the Great
Ryazan
Saint-Petersburg
Salekhard
Samara
Saransk
Saratov
Smolensk
Stavropol
Syktyvkar
Tambov
Tomsk
Tula
Tver
Tyumen
Ufa
Ulan-Ude
Ulyanovsk
Vladikavkaz
Vladimir
Vladivostok
Volgograd
Vologda
Voronezh
Yakutsk
Yaroslavl
Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
 :: Search
Search in articles
Search in current section
 :: Mail system 15Mb!
login @boxmail.biz
password 
[Registration]
 :: Constructor
 :: Free Hosting
 :: Game server
 :: Test

Rostov the Great

Rostov the GreatRostov, one of the ancient and most beautiful towns of the Russian land. The town stands on the bank of Nero lake with water of striking pearl, grey and blue shades. These colour shades are amazingly depicted by fine collection of ancient icons displayed in the local museum. The town was established much earlier than Moscow. The first written mention about Rostov dates by the year of 862 ad. In the 13th century the town was one of the centres of the new Russian state formed in the north-west part of ancient Rus. Up to the end of the 18th century Rostov remained one of the biggest and the richest towns of Russia. In 1589-1788 it was the residence of the Russian Metropolitan. The town has its own peculiar structure. The main streets meet at the historic centre, where, built in the 16th century, the Dormition Cathedral stands, with its bell tower erected Rostov the Greatin the 17th century. The bells of tower play one of the most fascinating chime or bell music. The local Kremlin had been called "Bishop's House" up to the 19th century. The architectural ensemble built in 1660-1680 by the order of Metropolitan Ivan Sysoyevich as a Metropolitan residence is in excellent condition. It includes 5 churches, palaces and estates. The inner walls have wonderful wall-paintings, which also remain bright and attractive. It looks like the whole ensemble rushes up into the skies, its walls bear the trait of the ancient times. There are so-called "trading line" structures (classical style, 1830) close to the Kremlin and the Church of Saviour with the golden stars on bright-blue domes. The Church of Ascension stands a bit away from the line. There are two convents located on the banks of Nero lake to the left and to the right of the Kremlin: the St. Abraham Convent to the north-east (16th-19th cent.) and Yakovlevsky Convent (17th-19th cent.) to the south-west.

Copyright © RIN 2001-. Russia Russia site map Feedback