Maikop is a capital of the Republic of Adygeya, its administrative, economic and cultural centre.
Maikop is situated in foothills of the Caucasian ridge on the right bank of the river Belaya (a tributary of the Kuban). The city received its name from the Adygei word "Myekuape" meaning 'valley of apple-trees'. The city territory with suburbs makes more than 30 thousand hectares. The population - 200 thousand. The city is multinational. Representatives of 80 nations and nationalities live here. The distance from Moscow is 1669 kms.
Since 1996 Maikop has become the capital of the Republic of Adygeya - one of the young republics of the Northern Caucasus. The economy of the city is diversified. The basic branches are the food-processing, woodworking and pulp-and-paper industries, machine-building and metal-working, light industry. There are 1200 enterprises of various patterns of ownership in the city. Production of 'Zarem' Maikop reducer plant' joint-stock company, "Machine-tool plant named after Frunze", "Machine-building plant", "Kartontara", 'Maikoplesprommebel', "Druzhba", "Lnocord" and others is known in many regions of the country and abroad.The food-processing industry of the city makes wide assortment of confectionery, meat and dairy products, and canned food. Last years thanks to the economic reform a new sector of economy develops. Here function more than 2000 middle and small-scale enterprises of various patterns of ownership with prevalence of the private one. Here an attractive investment climate is being developed.
City economy is the object of special concern of the administration. Maikop is the reiterated prize-winner of the All-Russian contest "The most comfortable city of Russia". Maikop water supply and transport systems are considered to be best. Maikop is a member of the Union of Russian cities, Associations of cities of the South of Russia.
Big attention is paid to education. Here are the Adygeya State University, the Maikop State Institute of Technology, the Pedagogical Institute, the Adygeya Scientific and Research Institute of Economy, Language, Literature and History, the Republican Grammar School, the School of Slavic Culture, the School of the Cossack culture, the Orthodox grammar school.
Maikop is known for its sport achievements and results.
Here are the Adygei and Russian Drama Theatres, philharmonic society, Museums of local lore and the North Caucasian branch of the State Museum of Arts of peoples of the East.The city centre comprises Lenin Square with the monument to V.I.Lenin (1959) and Square of Friendship with the monument "Friendship" (1968). Among the largest public buildings are the hotel "Adygeya", the House of Communication (both in 1956), cinema "October" (1961), the House of Justice (1966), city school of arts (1972), the House of government of Adygeya (1988). There is the recreation park along the banks of the river Belaya.