Russian   
ABOUT THE PROJECT STATE CULTURE AND ART HISTORY GEOGRAPHY AND NATURE PEARLS OF RUSSIA TOURISM GUEST BOOK  
 Russia Culture and Art   Architecture   Masterpieces of Russian architecture
 :: Articles
Alexander Nevsky Lavra
Alexandrinsky Theatre
Apraksins Manor
Arhangel Michael (Arhangelskiy) Cathedral
Central Exhibition Hall
Church of Sergey of Radonezh
Church of St. George the Victorious on Pskov Hill
Church of St. Varlaam of Khutyn
Epiphany Cathedral
Gostiny dvor
High-rise buildings
Kunstkammer
Lenin Mausoleum
Menshikov Palace
Mirozhsky Monastery
Moscow Univercity
Pechory Monastery
Peter and Paul Fortress
Pskov Kremlin
Russian Academy of Arts
S. P.Ryabushinsky-s mansion
Saint Michael's Castle
St. Basil s Cathedral
St. Sophia Cathedral
The Blue Bridge
The country estate of the Usatshev-Naidyonov family
The House of The "Rossiya" Insurance Company
The Kazanskiy station
The Kremlin State Palace of Congresses
The Nobleman-s Assembly
The Yauza Hospital
The Yuriev Monastery
Uspensky Cathedral
Vladychnaya (Granovitaya) Palata
Yaroslavsky Voksal
 :: Search
Search in articles
Search in current section
 :: Constructor
 :: Game server
 :: Test

Alexandrinsky Theatre

Alexandrinsky TheatreDate of creation: 1816 - 1834.
The author: Carlo Rossi
Location: Saint Petersburg
Material: brick, white stone, plaster



Alexandrinsky (Pushkin) theatre was founded in 1756. In 1832, the famous building of the present Pushkin Academic Drama Theatre, designed by Carlo Rossi, was erected in honour of Russia's victory over Napoleon.

Lives of many and many generations were bound with the theatre crowned by guadriga of galloping horses. Compared with Saint-Petersburg's architecture the building is distinguished for magnificent and simple style beauty. In 1856 the Empress Elizabeth Petrovna instituted Russian theatre of comedy and tragedy. In keeping with the court-office resolution the name of the theatre become shorter and changed to Russian Court Theatre.

The 19th century renamed the theatre Russian Drama Troupe of the Saint-Petersburg Emperor Theatres. After the revolution the theatre became the Russian Drama Troupe of the State Petrogradsky theatres, then the State Academic Associated Theatre.

In 1937 all Russia commemorated the centenary of the day of Alexander Pushkin's death, and the Theatre received a new name of the Pushkin State Academic Drama. Since 1991 it is called Russian Pushkin Academic Drama Theatre.

The name "Alexandrinsky" is more frequently used. This name dates back to 1832, when the new building in the centre of the city was called after Alexandra, the wife of the Czar, by the resolution of Nicholas I.



Copyright © RIN 2001-. Russia Russia site map Feedback