Russian   
ABOUT THE PROJECT STATE CULTURE AND ART HISTORY GEOGRAPHY AND NATURE PEARLS OF RUSSIA TOURISM GUEST BOOK  
 Russia Pearls of Russia   Cultural heritage
 :: Articles
Pleven Monument
Triumph Arch
The Pashkov House
Annunciation (Blagoveshchenskiy) Cathedral
Cathedral of God`s Ascension
Demidov Palace
Donskoy Monastery of The Mother of God
Bogoyavlensky Monastery
Golden Ring
Ivanovskiy-Precursor Convent
Kazan Cathedral
Kazan Kremlin
Kremlin Cathedrals
Moscow Kremlin
Novodevichy Convent
Novospasskiy Monastery
Ostankino Palace
Pavlovsk Palace Museum
Rostov Veliky
Spasso-Andronikov Monastery
Sretenskiy Monastery
St. Isaac Cathedral
The "Kalamita" Fortress
The Cathedral of Christ The Savior
The Church of Our Savior on Spilled Blood
The Church of St. Gabriel The Archangel
The Church of St. Simeon Stylites
The Church of The Ascension in Kolomenskoye
The Church of the Beheading of St. John the Baptist
The Church of The Ressurection in Kadashy
The Menshikov Palace
The Mikhailovsky (St. Michael) Castle
The Peter and Paul Fortress
The Petrovsky or Vysokopetrovsky Monastery
The Smolny Cathedral
The State Hermitage Museum
 :: Search
Search in articles
Search in current section
 :: Constructor
 :: Game server
 :: Test

The Church of St. Simeon Stylites

The Church of St. Simeon StylitesThe Church of St. Simeon Stylites in Povarskaya Street, 5 represents an excellent example of a Moscow trade church.

The church has got one more name - "Presentation to the Church in Dekhtyarny Side over Arbatskie gates" (named after the great altar). It was erected in the settlement of tsar?s cooks in 1676-1679 by Godunov. The church is built of large bricks on a white-stoned basement and is located at the crossroad of Povarskaya Street and Novy Boulevard.

The cathedral is topped with traditional for the XVII century five decorative domes. A refectory is attached to the church from the west. And a three-tiered belfry completes the composition.

The church was numerously rebuilt in XVIII-XIX centuries. A diversity of buildings and premises imparts the cathedral with a special plastic and vivid expressiveness. White-stoned tombs remained in the church walls. In 1801 the church was the scene for the wedding of Count N. P. Sheremetyev to P. I. Kovalyova-Zhemchugova, and later on of the writer S. T. Aksakov to O. S. Zaplatina. The priest from the Church of St. Simeon Stylites gave communion to N. V. Gogol. On the church land there was a house of a famous actor P. S. Motchalov, where he lived in 1820s. In 1926 the church was closed, and the belfry was disassembled.

Workshops have been located in the building up to 1966. The building of the Novy Arbat street caused the reconstruction of the church. Since 1968 a show-room of the nature preservation society has been situated there. In 1992 the cathedral was turned over to the Moscow Diocese.

District: Downtown
Address: 3, Povarskaya St., Moscow
Underground: Arbatskaya (Arbatsko-Pokrovskoy line)




Фк порту фото исмаили порту.
Copyright © RIN 2001-. Russia Russia site map Feedback