Chapel in memory of heroic Russian liberators from Bulgarian town Plevna (Plevena, on November 28, 1887) was unveiled on the 10th anniversary of its liberation from the Turkish yoke.
Our grenadiers were engaged in the most fierce fights, which influenced the course of the Russian-Turkish campaign of 1877-1878.
The monument was erected by an architect and sculptor V. O. Sherwood on the means of the soldiers and officers of the Grenadier corps. Originally it should be erected on the place of the battle. But in 1887 the disassembled monument was displayed for the universal viewing in the Neskuchny Garden. The delighted Muscovites were so taken with the monument, that they demanded its placing in Moscow. Besides a strained international situation wasn`t conducive to the transportation of the monument to Bulgaria.
An iron eight-sided tent-chapel, based on a low stone plinth, is crowned with an Orthodox cross. Huge iron details were assembled and installed by the sculptor seamless. The side edges of the monument are adorned with four high reliefs: a peasant, blessing his son for a feat; a Turkish infantryman with a dagger, snatching a baby out of its Bulgarian mother`s hands; a grenadier, capturing a Turkish soldier, and a wounded Russian warrior, with the last effort breaking off chain from a woman, who symbolizes Bulgaria.
Address: Lubyanskiy Pr., Moscow
Underground: Kitay-gorod (Kaluzhsko-Rizhskoy line)