On the border with Estonia you will see the Pechory Monastery, one of the oldest and richest in Russia.
Enjoy the main monastery buildings:
Cathedral of the Dormition (15th - mid-18th cent.) which lower part is an ancient cave church in the Holy Hill. The Cathedral houses the main monastery icon - icon of the Dormition of the Mother of God (1521) - which is said to create miracles and the relics of St. Martyr Cornelius.
Nearly three hundred years later (in 1759) an attractive baroque structure was built above the Cathedral of the Dormition - The Church of the Intercession entered from the caves.
The Monastery particularly flourished during the 16th century under Abbot Cornelius. At that time the small Church of the Annunciation (1541) and St. Nicholas Church were erected, as well as the stone belfry. The Annunciation church was appointed a refectory.
The Vestiary (17th century) is a red richly decorated building with a dark-blue dome sprinkled with stars and a roof in the shape of a cupola. On the first floor there was a library with an enormous collection of ancient manuscripts, and on the other - the vestiary proper. Examples of Russian applied art were collected in the Vestiary over many centuries - gold and silver crosses decorated with precious gems and large pearls, gospels with precious covers, gold and silver vessels, gold-embroidered shrouds (one of them made by the Grand Princess Anastasia Romanova, wife of Ivan the Terrible) and many other items of great artistic value.
The Large Belfry is a typical Pskov 16th-century building with a little clock-tower. The three largest bells were given to the monastery by Russian tsars - Ivan the Terrible, Boris Godunov and Peter the Great.
Monks' House is a stone two-storey edifice laid out in the form of a corridor with the cells on its sides.
Refectory House (1883) is a two-storey structure with the entrance gates on the lower first floor and the refectory itself on the upper floor.
Father Superior's House (1883) is a beautiful two-storey building with a stone basement and a hidden way to the large St. Michael Cathedral that was built after the Russian victory over Napoleon in the War of 1812.
The Church of St. Nicholas the Gatesman (1565) with a small gilded dome is striking in its gentle beauty - it is harmonious, simple, modestly festive and gently welcoming. The church is not large. The main object of veneration is a wooden effigy of St. Nicholas holding a small church in one hand and a sword in the other (he was entrusted with guarding the Holy Gates, after all). The outstanding Russian artist, Nikolay Roerich, made several paintings of St. Nicholas Church with its belfry. Next to the Church you can see the white rough wall of St. Nicholas Tower.