Date of creation: 1710 - 1720.
Architect D.Fontana. Rebuilt by G.Schadel
Material: brick, white stone, plaster
Location: Saint Petersburg
Universitetskaya emb., 15
Open: Tue-Sun from 10a.m. to 4p.m.
The Palace of Peter's associate A.Menshikov is not only the oldest, but also one of the largest stone buildings in Petersburg. Originally the palace comprised the main building facing Neva and two wings bounding a small courtyard. On the large territory attached to the palace a regular park was laid out with fountains, sculptures and a grotto in it; a pier was arranged on the Neva side.
The three-story palace was designed in the style of Peter's period (it has high fractured roof, pilasters arranged story-wise provided with carved stone capitels, blank lintels, two-colored walls, etc.) and stood out for the lavishness of interior decoration.
It was here that famous Peter's "assemblies" took place. Russian military victories were celebrated there, as well as foreign embassadors and overseas guests were received there too. Later, throughout the 18th century, the palace underwent several reconstructions. Recently, following continuous restoration works, the building has assumed its original early 1 Bth-century appearance.
At present an exposition is open there dealing with Russian culture of the 1700 - 1730s. Now the palace is a branch of the Hermitage.